Delta Air Lines Public Relations Department Photographs, 1953-1972 (VIS 107)
This collection is comprised of images taken by Delta Airlines corporate photographers and utilized for promotional purposes by the company. The photographs are of geographic locations in the metropolitan Atlanta region, but most of the images are of downtown Atlanta. Included are aerial views and cityscapes of downtown Atlanta, street scenes, parks, churches, shopping districts, private residences, hotels, colleges and universities, and Atlanta landmarks. Buildings include the Atlanta City Hall, Atlanta Stadium, Georgia State Farmers Market, the Capitol City Club, Atlanta Civic Center, the Cyclorama, Dinkler Plaza Hotel, Fox Theater, the Governor’s Mansion in Ansley Park, the Hyatt Regency, Atlanta Memorial Arts Center, Morningside Baptist Church, Atlanta Municipal Auditorium, Piedmont Driving Club, and the Wren’s Nest.
There are several images of what was the Western Union building on 48 Marietta Street that contained the law office of future president Woodrow Wilson. The collection contains images of Atlanta’s parks and recreational areas such as Bobby Jones Golf Course in Buckhead, Zoo Atlanta in Grant Park, Stone Mountain, Piedmont Park, and Plaza Park. Other photographs include images of Atlanta Municipal Airport, shops and restaurants in Underground Atlanta, interstate highways that surround Atlanta, and the campuses of Emory University, Georgia Tech, and Georgia State University.
The Delta Air Lines Public Relations Department collection contains 416 black and white negatives, 117 of which are digitized and available on this database.
The finding aid for the entire collection is available here.
To view the rest of the images please visit the Kenan Research Center located at 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30305. Our hours of operation are 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Wednesday – Saturday. You may contact us by calling 404.814.4040 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digitization of this collection is made possible in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.