Jo Phelps Photographs of the Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, 1982 (VIS 161)
The Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception is the oldest Catholic Church in Atlanta, Georgia. A founding date for the parish (originally called “The Catholic Church”) has not been determined. The original structure was built on the corner of Lloyd Street and Hunter Street in 1848, but since that time, the street names have changed to Central Avenue and Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive, respectively. After suffering damage during the Civil War the parish built a new structure at the same location in 1869. The church was renamed on behalf of an oil painting of the Immaculate Conception that was hung behind the altar of the newly built church and dedicated as such in 1873. This collection contains photographs of the exterior of the Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception taken by Jo Crawford Phelps one week after a fire which nearly destroyed the church.
The Catholic Shrine of the Immaculate Conception photograph collection contains 14 black and white negatives, all of which are digitized and available on this database.
The finding aid for the entire collection is available here.
The Kenan Research Center is located at 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30305. Our hours of operation are 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Wednesday – Saturday. You may contact us by calling 404.814.4040 or emailing at email@example.com.
Digitization of this collection is made possible in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.