Paul Talbott, Jr. Lakewood Speedway and Gone With the Wind premiere film, 1937, undated (VIS 191)
Earl "Lucky" Teter (1902-1942) raced automobiles and motorcycles but earned a national reputation as a stunt driver. He began his career as a gas station attendant and weekend test driver but in the early 1930s decided to attempt stunt or thrill driving. He formed a group known as "Hell Drivers" and in 1934 began touring at fairgrounds and racetracks. Lucky died in 1942 while performing a stunt at the Indiana State Fairgrounds. Candler Field, located south of Atlanta, Georgia, opened in 1925 when Mayor Walter Sims signed a lease on 287 acres. The first flight landed on September 15, 1926 from Jacksonville, Florida. Eastern Airlines, "The Great Silver Fleet," began service to Atlanta in 1928. The filmGone With the Wind, based on the novel by Margaret Mitchell (Marsh), premiered in Atlanta, Georgia on December 15, 1939. The principal actors arrived in Atlanta prior to the premiere and toured several historical sites as well as attended a ball hosted by the Atlanta Junior League.
The collection, in its original format, is a single reel of 8mm black and white acetate film. The film captures three separate events in the Atlanta area: Lucky Teter performing automobile stunts at Lakewood Speedway; landings and takeoffs at Candler Field; and a portion of the Gone With the Wind premiere celebrations. The first four and a half minutes of the film documents a portion of the Lucky Teter performance at Lakewood Speedway. This segment captures some of the automobile and motorcycle stunts as well as a section of the grandstands. The next two minutes contain aerial shots of neighborhoods, Lakewood Fairgounds, and a portion of a train yard. The last minute and a half captures a portion of the Gone With the Wind premiere celebrations. There are shots of the Loew's Grand Theatre with a false Twelve Oaks facade and shots of spectators along Peachtree Street.
The Kenan Research Center is located at 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30305. Our hours of operation are 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Wednesday – Saturday. You may contact us by calling 404.814.4040 or emailing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digitization of this collection is made possible in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.