Bedford-Pine Neighborhood photograph collection, circa 1970-1971 (VIS 152)
The Bedford-Pine neighborhood is an area in Atlanta, Georgia bounded by North Avenue on the north end, Highland Avenue to the south, Boulevard to the east, and Piedmont Avenue to the west. The area was annexed by Atlanta in 1870 and developed until a fire destroyed businesses and homes in 1917. After the fire, the neighborhood deteriorated in value and maintenance as middle class residents moved away and were replaced by people at or near the poverty line. Most of the structures in the neighborhood were destroyed during the 1960s and 1970s in urban renewal projects.
This collection includes images of residents and homes in the Bedford-Pine district of Atlanta, Georgia during the early 1970’s. The images depict children playing in the streets and on playgrounds as well as adults outside their homes. The photographs show dilapidated and condemned housing in the area, a few neighborhood storefronts, refuse, and scenes of the Atlanta skyline in the background.
The Bedford-Pine Neighborhood photograph collection contains 146 black and white, and color slides, 65 of which are digitized and available on this database.
The finding aid for the entire collection is available here.
To view the rest of the images, please visit the Kenan Research Center located at 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30305. Our hours of operation are 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Wednesday – Saturday. You may contact us by calling 404.814.4040 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digitization of this collection is made possible in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.