Browsing 87 item(s) in:
Atlanta Lung Association Photographs
Atlanta Lung Association, 1913 – 1972 (VIS 862)
The Atlanta Lung Association, (A.L.A.) was established in 1907 by the Fulton County Medical Society, it was among the first organizations in Atlanta to offer treatment of tuberculosis to those unable to obtain sanatorium care. It merged with another such organization, the Home Treatment Dispensary, to form the Atlanta Anti Tuberculosis and Visiting Nurse Association. Private donations, fund-raising, and city and county funds sustained the Association which served both white and black patients. It emphasized health education, early detection, and provided clinic and home care for the indigent. Success in treating the disease dictated a change in direction to that of general respiratory illnesses; therefore in 1973 the Association changed its name to the Atlanta Lung Association.
The majority of this collection consists of photographs of doctors, nurses, and volunteers of the Atlanta Lung Association when it was known as the Atlanta Anti-Tuberculosis Association, engaged in activities aimed at fighting tuberculosis. Some activities include images of patients undergoing x-rays and blood tests, photographs of doctors and nurses administering vaccines, a “Clean-up Campaign” to promote sanitary conditions, group portraits of medical professionals, a health education class, and a health fair sponsored by the Atlanta Anti-tuberculosis Association. There are also a few images of buildings and geographic locations in Atlanta connected with these endeavors.
The Atlanta Lung Association collection contains 376 black and white photographic prints, 87 of which are digitized and available on this database. To view the rest of the images, please visit the Kenan Research Center.
The Kenan Research Center is located at 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30305. Our hours of operation are 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Wednesday – Saturday. You may contact us by calling 404.814.4040 or emailing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digitization of this collection is made possible in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.