Browsing 10 item(s) in:
Bernard L. Solari photographs of the Loew's Grand Theatre Fire
Bernard L. Solari photographs of the Loew’s Grand Theatre Fire, 1978 (VIS 147)
The Grand Opera House was built on Peachtree Street in 1893 by Laurent DeGive as a larger and more elaborate successor to the DeGive Opera House built at the corner of Marietta and Forsyth Streets in the 1870s. The Grand came under the management of Marcus Loew's Theater organization in 1916. In 1932, in order to compete with movie theaters, the Loew's Grand Theater was renovated by architect Thomas W. Lamb. The one screen theater had 2088 seats. The theater was the site of the movie premiere of Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind in 1939. Declining attendance in the 1960’s led to its closing in 1977. The abandoned theater caught fire January 30, 1978 and the damage led to the demolition of the historic venue. The abandoned theater caught fire January 30, 1978 and the damage led to the demolition of the historic venue. These photographs depict the aftermath of a fire at Loew’s Grand Theatre in Atlanta. Included are photographs of the exterior of the building, interior light fixtures, the lobby area, theatre seating, and the theatre stage area, all areas which were damaged in the fire.
The Bernard L. Solari photograph collection contains 10 color photographic prints, all of which are digitized and available on this database.
The Kenan Research Center is located at 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30305. Our hours of operation are 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Wednesday – Saturday. You may contact us by calling 404.814.4040 or emailing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Digitization of this collection is made possible in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.