Browsing 97 item(s) in:

Charles E. Troutt Photographs

Search this Collection


 

Charles E. Troutt photographs, 1951-1969 (VIS 116)

Charles E. Troutt was a commercial photographer who worked in Atlanta from approximately 1951 to 1969.  This collection contains photographs taken by Troutt, presumably for his clients.  Included are images of commercial buildings, government buildings, private residences, private clubs, colleges and universities, aerial views, and street scenes in various neighborhoods in Atlanta. Images of office buildings and commercial facilities include the Citizens and Southern Bank building, Georgian Terrace Hotel, Henry Grady Hotel, J.P. Allen & Company building, Lenox Mall, the Sears building in Buckhead, Parliament House Motel, Peachtree-Baker building, Peachtree Towers, Piedmont Hotel, Union Station Passenger Depot, and the Varsity restaurant.  Included among the photographs of churches and synagogues in the collection are All Saints Episcopal, Big Bethel African Methodist Episcopal, Capitol View Presbyterian, Central Presbyterian, Christ the King, Druid Hills Methodist, East Point Christian, First Presbyterian, Inman Park Baptist, Jewish Temple, and Ponce de Leon Baptist.  Photographs of government, civic, and municipal facilities include Atlanta City Hall, Atlanta Civic Center, Atlanta Stadium, Atlanta Water Works, the Cyclorama building, Fulton County Courthouse, Governor’s Mansion, Municipal Auditorium, the Georgia State Capitol, and the United States Penitentiary.  The collection includes images of residences and former residences of Atlantans such as A. G. Rhodes, Bartow Blount, Joseph Boland, Hunter Cooper, James Dickey, Willis Jones, Lemuel P. Grant, Henry Heinz, Hugh McKee, William Perrin Nicolson, Hugh Nunnally, Edwin Peters, Joseph Rhodes, and George Washington Collier in Buckhead, Midtown, and North Druid Hills neighborhoods. Street scenes include images of Auburn Avenue, Broad Street, Gordon Street, Hunter Street, Ivy Street, West Peachtree Street, Whitehall Avenue, Walton Street in downtown, and Peachtree Street and West Paces Ferry Road in Buckhead. 

Charles E. Troutt photograph collection contains 245 black and white and color prints, 97 of which are digitized and available on this database. To view the rest of the images, please visit the Kenan Research Center.

The Kenan Research Center is located at 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30305. Our hours of operation are 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Wednesday – Saturday. You may contact us by calling 404.814.4040 or emailing at reference@atlantahistorycenter.com.

Digitization of this collection is made possible in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.