Browsing 227 item(s) in:

Cortlandt F. Luce Jr. Photographs

Search this Collection


 

Cortlandt F. Luce photographs, 1968-1978 (VIS 114)

Cortlandt F. Luce, Jr. (1907-1992) was a professional photographer and supervising agent for Aetna Insurance Agency in Atlanta, Georgia.  This collection of photographs is comprised of images of geographical locations, events, and people in the Atlanta metropolitan area.  Included are images of office buildings, government buildings, shopping centers, sports facilities, airports, monuments, churches and homes throughout the city. Included are photographs of Atlanta City Hall, Atlanta Civic Center, Atlanta Stadium, Atlantic Steel Company, Biltmore Hotel, Tower Place, Bank of Georgia, the Equitable Building, First National Bank Building, Fulton County Courthouse, Atlanta Municipal Airport, Georgia State Capital building, Grady Memorial Hospital, Lenox Mall, Life of Georgia building, New Hope Baptist Church, Christ the King Catholic Church, the Omni Complex, Rich’s Department Store, the Cathedral of St. Philip, the Temple, and the Strand Theater.  Also included are images of Stone Mountain, Oakland Cemetery, Peachtree Creek, Tanyard Creek, Piedmont Park, Hurt Park, and dozens of aerial photographs of downtown Atlanta.

The collection also includes photographs of events and activities such as the Southeastern Fair at Lakewood Park, and other arts and cultural festivals.  The remaining photographs contain images of citizens going about their various jobs.

The Cortlandt F. Luce photographs contains 463 color transparencies, and black and white and color photographic prints, 228 of which are digitized and available on this database. To view the rest of the images, please visit the Kenan Research Center.

The Kenan Research Center is located at 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30305. Our hours of operation are 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Wednesday – Saturday. You may contact us by calling 404.814.4040 or emailing at reference@atlantahistorycenter.com.

Digitization of this collection is made possible in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.