Browsing 100 item(s) in:

Steve B. Campbell Atlanta Fire Department Photographs

Search this Collection


 

Steve B. Campbell Atlanta Fire Department photographs, 1882-1972 (VIS 166)

Steve B. Campbell served with the Atlanta Fire Department from approximately 1932 to 1974.  He attained the rank of battalion chief and deputy director, and also served as the department’s historian. This collection is comprised of photographs of fire stations and personnel of the Atlanta Fire Department.  Also included are photographs of notable fires in Atlanta during the 20th century.  Most of the photographs are group portraits of fire companies taken between 1890 and 1928, and include images of 20 fire stations in the city of Atlanta.  Individual firemen are identified in many of the photographs.  There are also photographs of fire companies affiliated with the aforementioned stations.  Examples of these include hook & ladder companies, hose companies, chemical engine companies, and engine and hose companies. The collection features photographs of officers and other prominent individuals such as Chiefs William Cody and William Cummings, along with a group portrait that includes Henry Karwisch, William C. Reynolds, and George H. Deihl, the chief officers of the last Volunteer Fire Department in Atlanta.  Also included is an 1898 portrait of the baseball team sponsored by the Fire Department.  The remaining images are photographs of fires in Atlanta.  Included are photographs of the Terminal District Fire of 1908, the J. P. Allen Building Fire of 1916, and the Great Atlanta Fire of 1917.   

The Steve B. Campbell Atlanta Fire Department photograph collection contains 100 black and white photographic prints, all of which are digitized and available on this database.

The Kenan Research Center is located at 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30305. Our hours of operation are 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Wednesday – Saturday. You may contact us by calling 404.814.4040 or emailing at reference@atlantahistorycenter.com.

Digitization of this collection is made possible in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.