Browsing 4 item(s) in:

U.S.S. Atlanta Photograph Collection

Search this Collection


 

U.S.S Atlanta, 1891-1982 (VIS 76)

Five U. S. naval vessels have been named for Atlanta, Georgia.  The first, a Confederate ironclad christened CSS Atlanta, served in the United States Navy.  The second, a protected cruiser, was launched in 1884.  U.S.S. Atlanta (CL-51), the third vessel, was an antiaircraft light cruiser commanded by Captain Samuel P. Jenkins and sponsored by Atlanta author, Margaret Mitchell.  The fourth one (CL-104), commissioned 3 December 1944 and also sponsored by Mitchell, was a Cleveland-class light cruiser active during World War II.  The fifth U.S.S. Atlanta (SSN-712), a Los Angeles-class nuclear attack submarine, was launched in 1980. The digitized collection includes only four images of the U.S.S. Atlanta (CL-51), however, the collection as a whole ranges from 1891 to 1982 and documents the efforts of prominent Atlantans to support and commemorate various iterations of the U.S.S. Atlanta, primarily during the early 1940s, through photographic and albumen prints, lithographs, and a postcard. The bulk of the collection contains visual materials related to U.S.S. Atlanta, the CL-51 and the CL-104, during World War II, including its launch and commission events, and operations and servicemen aboard the cruisers. To a lesser extent, the second and fifth vessels are documented through two lithographic prints.  The collection does not contain material related to the first vessel.

The U.S.S. Atlanta collection contains 116 black and white photographs and lithographs, 4 of which are digitized and available on this database. To view the rest of the images, please visit the Kenan Research Center.

The Kenan Research Center is located at 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, Georgia 30305. Our hours of operation are 10:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Wednesday – Saturday. You may contact us by calling 404.814.4040 or emailing at reference@atlantahistorycenter.com.

Digitization of this collection is made possible in part by a grant from the Institute of Museum and Library Services.