VIS 170.4431.001 Leyden House

Leyden House

Title Leyden House
Photographer Goldsticker, H.
Description View of unidentified Federal troops standing on the porch of Leyden House on Peachtree Street in downtown Atlanta, Georgia, during the Civil War when General George H. Thomas, the commander of the Army of the Cumberland, used the house as his headquarters.
Geographic Location Atlanta (Ga.)
Peachtree Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
Subject Houses--Georgia--Atlanta
Facades--Georgia--Atlanta
Military personnel--United States
Military uniforms--1860-1870--Union
United States--History--Civil War, 1861-1865
Corporate Name Leyden House (Atlanta, Ga.)
Date Original 1864
Date Digital 2009
Type 10 x 13 in. albumen print
Digital Format JPEG
Catalogue Number VIS 170.4431.001
Collection Atlanta History Photograph Collection
Publisher Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, GA 30305
Rights This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S Code) Permission ofr use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Notes The Leyden House, located on Peachtree Street on the block between Ellis and Cain (now Andrew Young International Boulevard) Streets in downtown Atlanta, Georgia, was designed by John Boutell and built in the late 1850s as the home of William Herring. The Greek Revival residence is often referred to as the Leyden House because Austin Leyden and his family occupied the home for many years. During the Civil War, General George H. Thomas, the commander of the Army of the Cumberland, used the house as his headquarters. It was demolished in 1913 after Asa G. Candler acquired the property for commercial purposes.
Source ahc1704431001.jpg