VIS 170.354.001 Governor's Mansion

Governor's Mansion

Title Governor's Mansion
Photographer Unknown
Description View of the Georgia Governor's Mansion on Peachtree Street near the intersection of Cain Street (now Andrew Young International Boulevard), in downtown Atlanta, Georgia.
Geographic Location Atlanta (Ga.)
Peachtree Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
Subject Houses--Georgia--Atlanta
Facades--Georgia--Atlanta
Fences--Georgia--Atlanta
Hitching posts
Date Original 1890
Date Digital 2009
Type 4 x 5 in. black and white copy print
Digital Format JPEG
Catalogue Number VIS 170.354.001
Collection Atlanta History Photograph Collection
Publisher Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, GA 30305
Rights This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S Code) Permission ofr use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Notes In 1870, a large Victorian home located on Peachtree Street at its intersection with Cain Street (now Andrew Young International Boulevard) was purchased from John H. James to serve as the first official governor's mansion in Atlanta. The home had been designed by architect W. H. Perkins. Seventeen governors occupied this Peachtree Street residence, until Governor Dorsey vacated the increasingly dilapidated building in 1921. The home was subsequently demolished in 1923 and replaced by the Henry Grady Hotel. The Westin Peachtree Plaza now occupies the site.
Source ahc170354001.jpg