VIS 170.344.001 Grand Opera House

Grand Opera House

Title Grand Opera House
Description View of the interior of the Grand Opera House (later known as the Loew's Grand Theater) including the stage, orchestra seats, and box seats, on Peachtree Street in downtown Atlanta, Georgia.
Geographic Location Atlanta (Ga.)
Subject Theaters--Georgia--Atlanta
Interiors--Georgia--Atlanta
Architectural elements--Georgia--Atlanta
Corporate Name Grand Opera House (Atlanta, Ga.)
Loew's Grand Theater (Atlanta, Ga.)
Date Original 1895
Date Digital 2009
Type 8 x 10 in. black and white copy print
Digital Format JPEG
Catalogue Number VIS 170.344.001
Collection Atlanta History Photograph Collection
Publisher Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, GA 30305
Rights This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S Code) Permission ofr use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Notes The Grand Opera House was built on Peachtree Street in 1893 by Laurent DeGive as a larger and more elaborate successsor to the DeGive Opera House built at the corner of Marietta and Forsyth Streets in the 1870s. The Grand came under the management of Marcus Loew's Theater organization in 1916. In 1932, in order to compete with movie theaters, the Loew's Grand Theater was renovated by architect Thomas W. Lamb. The one screen theater had 2088 seats. The theater was the site of the movie premiere of Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind in 1939. Declining attendence in the 1960รข??s led to its closing in 1977. The abandoned theater caught fire January 30, 1978 and the damage led to the demolition of the historic venue.
Source ahc170344001.jpg