VIS 170.405.001 Leyden House

Leyden House

Title Leyden House
Photographer W. H. Parish Publishing Company
Description View of the Leyden House, located on Peachtree Street on the block between Ellis and Cain (now Andrew Young International Boulevard) Streets in downtown Atlanta, Georgia.
Geographic Location Atlanta (Ga.)
Peachtree Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
Subject Houses--Georgia--Atlanta
Facades--Georgia--Atlanta
Yards--Georgia--Atlanta
Fences--Georgia--Atlanta
Sidewalks--Georgia--Atlanta
Hitching posts
Personal Name Leyden, Austin--Homes & haunts--Georgia--Atlanta
Date Original 1895
Date Digital 2009
Type 5 x 7 in. black and white copy print
Digital Format JPEG
Catalogue Number VIS 170.405.001
Collection Atlanta History Photograph Collection
Publisher Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, GA 30305
Rights This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S Code) Permission ofr use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Notes The Leyden House, located on Peachtree Street on the block between Ellis and Cain (now Andrew Young International Boulevard) Streets in downtown Atlanta, Georgia, was designed by John Boutell and built in the late 1850s as the home of William Herring. The Greek Revival residence is often referred to as the Leyden House because Austin Leyden and his family occupied the home for many years. During the Civil War, General George H. Thomas, the commander of the Army of the Cumberland, used the house as his headquarters. It was demolished in 1913 after Asa G. Candler acquired the property for commercial purposes.
Source ahc170405001.jpg