VIS 170.527.001 DeGive's Opera House

DeGive's Opera House

Title DeGive's Opera House
Photographer Unknown
Description View of the interior of DeGive's Opera House, including the stage and balcony seats, at the corner of Marietta and Forsyth Streets in downtown Atlanta, Georgia.
Geographic Location Atlanta (Ga.)
Marietta Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
Forsyth Street (Atlanta, Ga.)
Subject Theaters--Georgia--Atlanta
Interiors--Georgia--Atlanta
Stages (Platforms)
Corporate Name DeGive Opera House (Atlanta, Ga.)
Date Original circa 1870
Date Digital 2009
Type 7 x 10 in. albumen print
Digital Format JPEG
Catalogue Number VIS 170.527.001
Collection Atlanta History Photograph Collection
Publisher Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta, GA 30305
Rights This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S Code) Permission ofr use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Notes Laurent DeGive purchased an unfinished building at the corner of Marietta and Forsyth Streets in downtown Atlanta, Georgia, and transformed into an opera house in 1870. DeGive's Opera House was later occupied by the Columbia Theater and in its declining years by the Bijou Theater. The building was demolished in 1921 to make way for the construction of the Palmer Building.
Source ahc170527001.jpg