VIS 152.03.43 Bedford Pine

Bedford Pine

Title Bedford Pine
Photographer Unknown
Description View of residents and commercial space on Forrest Avenue (later named Ralph McGill Boulevard) in the Bedford Pine neighborhood of Atlanta, Georgia.
Geographic Location Atlanta (Ga.)
Bedford Pine (Atlanta, Ga.)
Forrest Avenue (Atlanta, Ga.)
Ralph McGill Boulevard (Atlanta, Ga.)
Subject Neighborhoods--Georgia--Atlanta
Clothing & dress--1970-1980
African Americans--1970-1980
City & town life--Georgia--Atlanta
Men--1970-1980
Stores & shops--Georgia--Atlanta
Advertising--Georgia--Atlanta
Date Original 1971 January
Date Digital 2006
Type 35 mm color transparency;
Digital Format JPEG
Catalogue Number VIS 152.03.43
Collection Bedford-Pine Neighborhood Photograph Collection
Publisher Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta GA 30305
Rights This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S Code) Permission ofr use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Notes Bedford Pine is an area in Atlanta, Georgia bounded by North Avenue on the north end, Highland Avenue to the south, Boulevard to the east, and Piedmont Avenue to the west. The area was annexed by Atlanta in 1870 and developed until a fire destroyed businesses and homes in 1917. After the fire, the neighborhood deteriorated in value and maintenance as middle class residents moved away and were replaced by people at or near the poverty line. Most of the structures in the neighborhood were destroyed during the 1960's and 1970's in urban renewal projects. New housing was constructed during the decades that followed, and Georgia Power Company chose the area for its headquarters in 1979.
Source ahc152003043a.jpg