VIS 147.01.02 Loew's Grand Theater

Loew's Grand Theater

Title Loew's Grand Theater
Photographer Solari, Bernard;
Description View of the exterior of Loew's Grand Theater on Peachtree Street in Atlanta, Georgia during demolition, after it was damaged by fire.
Geographic Location Atlanta (Ga.)
Subject Theaters--Georgia--Atlanta
Fires--Georgia--Atlanta
Building deterioration--Georgia--Atlanta
Demolition--Georgia--Atlanta
Construction equipment
Corporate Name Loew's Grand Theater (Atlanta, Ga.)
Date Original 1978
Date Digital 2006
Type 8 x 10 in. color print;
Digital Format JPEG
Catalogue Number VIS 147.01.02
Collection Bernard L. Solari photographs of the Loew's Grant Theatre Fire
Publisher Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta GA 30305
Rights This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S Code) Permission ofr use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Notes The Grand Opera House was built on Peachtree Street in 1893 by Laurent DeGive as a larger and more elaborate successsor to the DeGive Opera House built at the corner of Marietta and Forsyth Streets in the 1870s. The Grand came under the management of Marcus Loew's Theater organization in 1916. In 1932, in order to compete with movie theaters, the Loew's Grand Theater was renovated by architect Thomas W. Lamb. The one screen theater had 2088 seats. The theater was the site of the movie premiere of Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind in 1939. Declining attendence in the 1960รข??s led to its closing in 1977. The abandoned theater caught fire January 30, 1978 and the damage led to the demolition of the historic venue.
Source ahc147001002a.jpg