VIS 150.01.03 Loew's Grand Theater Fire

Loew's Grand Theater Fire

Title Loew's Grand Theater Fire
Photographer Bielowicz, Norman F.;
Description View of a fire in Loew's Grand Theater (also known as the Grand Opera House) in Atlanta, Georgia.
Geographic Location Atlanta (Ga.)
Subject Theaters--Georgia--Atlanta
Fires--Georgia--Atlanta
Firefighting equipment--Georgia--Atlanta
Buildings--Georgia--Atlanta
Corporate Name Loew's Grand Theater (Atlanta, Ga.)
Grand Opera House (Atlanta, Ga.)
Date Original 1978 January 30
Date Digital 2006
Type 35 mm color transparency;
Digital Format JPEG
Catalogue Number VIS 150.01.03
Collection Norman F. Bielowicz Photographs of the Loew's Grand Theatre Fire
Publisher Kenan Research Center, Atlanta History Center, 130 West Paces Ferry Road, Atlanta GA 30305
Rights This material is protected by copyright law. (Title 17, U.S Code) Permission ofr use must be cleared through The Kenan Research Center at the Atlanta History Center. Licensing agreement may be required.
Notes The Grand Opera House was built on Peachtree Street in 1893 by Laurent DeGive as a larger and more elaborate successsor to the DeGive Opera House built at the corner of Marietta and Forsyth Streets in the 1870s. The Grand came under the management of Marcus Loew's Theater organization in 1916. In 1932, in order to compete with movie theaters, the Loew's Grand Theater was renovated by architect Thomas W. Lamb. The one screen theater had 2088 seats. The theater was the site of the movie premiere of Margaret Mitchell's Gone with the Wind in 1939. Declining attendence in the 1960รข??s led to its closing in 1977. The abandoned theater caught fire January 30, 1978 and the damage led to the demolition of the historic venue.
Source ahc150001003a.jpg